Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Week 12

This week I chose to read Britten and Brulightly by Hannah Berry. Drawn to it's beautiful use of line work, I dove in extremely excited only to be terrorized by the tiniest of scribbly writings as text. It works well with the artwork but does not work for this reader, I personally avoid cursive writing like its the plague, but i digress. I really felt the imagery spoke on a filmic sense, I could hear the words being spoken by a narrator in a soft but deep voice, while rain lightly padded the ground of this muted color world. It reminds me of Casablanca meets an old detective movie, considering its about a detective. The story moves rather quick, with poetic narration and simplistic wording. There were instances in this very serious story where little funny moments happened, like when the woman says"fucking weather", something we say on a regular basis since the weather here in Sarasota can change on the flip of a dime, or  the man points a gun at Britten about feeding the cat. Because the artwork is so highly detailed, I would have loved to see this turned into a film or animation, either being a silent movie with only dramatic and subtle sounds clips or even just a soft narration but no actual character speaking. I fully enjoyed this piece, It was so serene and peaceful in sense that it flowed very naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment